Saturday, March 19, 2011

It's Gettin A Little Hectic

So, today I realized just how hectic my schedule has become.  I really should not have gone to that education conference in Bossier.  I should have stayed home finishing my papers so I wouldn't be up til all hours tonight!  LOL  I think I'm defective...I thrive on chaos in my life.  If there's not ten things going on at one time, then there's something wrong!  The conference was wonderful, though and very inspiring.  I'm always inspired by getting together with other advocates and strengthening the bonds to help our kids.  I learned that a letter I wrote recently about our experience with restraint and seclusion has made it into the hands of one of our local legislators who was 'very moved' by it!  How exciting!  I was trained in how to write, change and influence policy regarding people with disabilities and try to stay involved in the community efforts as much as possible.  Plus a dear friend from Lake Charles was the keynote speaker and I haven't seen her in about 5 years so, we went to dinner and just had a blast!  So, yeah, even though it cramped my homework time, I am glad I went.

I'm in total agony over this new story.  Trying to keep it on the back burner is painful!  LOL  I find myself writing in the car, while waiting on a train, in a parking lot, or picking up my son.  I keep my notebook on my desk at work in case an idea strikes...So, basically, you have this cleric-type, you know, a healer but also a fairly good warrior, who has been chosen by his diety to represent in the world of mortals.  He has proven himself time and again and helped in the effort to bring back the dragons that were banished from the world but also made the balance of good and evil shift too strongly toward the evil end of things.  Now he's been called to help 'clean out' the ranks of the followers of the three gods.  He reunites with an old friend, a dwarf, and they end up teaming with a woman who was trained as a specialty warrior (think Special Forces type training).  She can use any weapon, including her bare hands and is pretty much a badass.  I LOVE strong women in my stories who can hold their own with the men around them.  On the evil side, we have Lukan, a fighter, leader of an army, who is trained in magic.  He has made a deal with a demon that snuck into the world through the open pathway that was opened for the dragons to return.  This demon taught him how to extract a person's soul.  But, the demon tricked him.  In exchange for the knowledge he has demanded payment in souls - which will make him more powerful and able to bring more of his brethren into the world so they can take over and rule it.  Lukan, if he doesn't want to die himself, must harvest souls for this demon.  But there's a twist - a soul cannot be taken, it must be given willingly.  So, he has to con people into giving up their souls to him, which he turns over to the demon.  The warrior woman who teams up with the cleric has given her soul to him.  He tricked her into thinking he loved her and so she ends up giving her soul to him but then he betrays her and she flees.  But, now that he holds her soul, he controls her and he uses her abilities to get rid of those who stand in his way.  She has no control over what is happening to her and has to find a way to get her soul back - enter our hero.  I'll stop there for now - I do know the whole story but I'm gonna make you wait to find out the rest!  Stay tuned...

4 comments:

  1. My day has been hectic also. Praxis Workshop, My Daughter's birthday party and my best friends birthday celebration. I'm ready for SPRING BREAK!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lela, the story sounds amazing! And sometimes chaos is best--then we don't have time to stop and wonder what we're doing!

    K. Smith
    Eng. 226

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I am so so so jealous of your creativity!! I can't WAIT for this story, Lee, for real. You've got wonderful conflict (GMC! GMC!), and all the characters sound incredibly interesting. Let's brainstorm when I get back--woo hoo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm ready! We should totally have a coffee/dinner/desert night - all 3 of us! This story has decided to take on a life of it's own and I'm having such a hard time keeping it from taking over. I mean, we kinda knew Elerbee was getting his own story eventually, but it's almost turning into HER story! lol I'm crazy, I know...

    ReplyDelete