Saturday, February 26, 2011

Keeping my head in the game

So, I really wanted to try to blog again on stuff for the new book.  But today I haven't been able to get one of my other characters out of my mind.  Those that have read Reborn - Elerbee just won't leave me alone today!  Elerbee is the priest/healer character in my fantasy book.  I just keep seeing him and Durlag (the dwarf) trekking all over Cantor, out to right all the wrongs the priests have brought into the world.  The dragons have restored justice and are now watching over the lands, Mey among them.  I seriously wasn't looking for this story, but there it is - WHAM!  Right in my face, for the past two or three days.  I haven't even gotten back to the original story to do rewrites!  I just keep jotting down the ideas as they come - so I won't lose any of it.

The past week has been fairly relaxing.  Trent started his new meds this week & we've been seeing some positive changes.  He hasn't had to be removed from any of his classes!  He's had some bumps and he's had to leave to calm down a couple of times, but NOTHING like what was happening before when he was off meds completely.  I  hate that we have to have the drugs to help, but, some people just need that little extra, I suppose.  All these man-made medicines are scary to me, though.  And I hate reading that side-effects sheet.  Geez!  He's still taking the melatonin for sleeping, though and it's been great!  He's gotten back on track and even put himself to bed tonight!!!!  How many 12 year olds do that?

So, I have to promise myself to get back to the romance book...I need to explore Lilli's character a bit more.  I had Diane Lane in mind as a visual for her but I think I might try to go more vintage and use an actual 20s-era actress or something.  I have two in mind for her.  Clara Bow:
Beautiful, right?  Only probelm is, I can't find too many pictures of her in color - this is one of very few...
Or Greta Garbo - again, not a lot of color photos.  But I guess it gives me leeway to imagine what I want for skin tones, eye color, hair color, etc.  And Garbo is absolutely gorgeous!!  Here she is:

She's supposed to be older than Vic - by around 12 years.  He's 24, so she's going to be 36-ish.  I can adjust that if necessary, but I don't want her any younger than 34.  Having an image to work with is important to me.  It helps me to have a reference to my characters, someone to gaze at as the thoughts come...I do that with a lot of things in the stories.  I even have a picture of Vic's house.  So, what do you guys think?  Clara Bow or Greta Garbo?  Cast your votes! 

6 comments:

  1. Lela keep up the good work Mother,Student, Wife, and an author of a book!! Some might call you Superwoman!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that pic of Clara. She's got the prettiest pout. Super relieved that things are going better for your little man. Especially where school's concerned. And YAY for Elerbee & Durlag! Now, that would be an interesting tale!

    Of course, you know me--Ms. Romance--I'd want Elerbee to fall in love with someone along the way. Hmmm... who could she be...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaand you know me, Nik...it would have to be someone in total contrast to his character...OH! I know! Maybe she could be an assassin who was hired by one of the rival sects to kill him! Hmmm...you're not supposed to be encouraging this! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job--just keep going with it--in between doing all the work for my classes, of course!

    You need to show me how this music player you have works. I'd like to put one of these on my blog, too.

    K. Smith
    Eng. 226

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going Greta. And Elerbee's chick needs to love killing swamp monsters or something that keeps her dirty ALL the time. Oh the fun she and Durlag could have with that...

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA! KP, you're right! Now, THAT would be an interesting match! :D

    ReplyDelete