Saturday, February 12, 2011

Emotional week

This has been one very emotional week.  Some big decisions were made; life changing decisions probably.  My son was suspended from school for a day.  We have come to the realization that he just cannot handle a school environment.  We have been fighting tooth and nail for seven years to make the system follow the law and accommodate him as the law allows.  So much easier said that done, believe me!  When there are children that are harder to educate than the average bear, the tendency is to just try not to.  They don't want to have to work that hard.  We have tried for years to force him to be like everyone else.  Truth is, he is not like everyone else.  He doesn't think the same or view the world the same.  But day after day, year after year, we have forced him into an environment that he can't handle.  He is so stressed about having a "good day" at school that it has consumed him.  He is a 12-year-old child and should not be stressed about that.  But he is - he tells us that he stresses about it.  Not one of us is happy and haven't been for a very long time.  We have to bring him home.  Yes, homeschool.  We are going to try to make it through the rest of this year, if we can.  If we're not forced to leave (which wouldn't be the first time).  But starting with 7th grade, we will be homeschooling him until he's ready to return and try this environment again.  Hopefully only a couple of years, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.  When my husband and I made the decision it was almost as if an enormous weight was lifted from my shoulders!  I'm still apprehensive about the social stuff he may miss but, as my husband said, he's not getting socialized now if he's constantly being removed from class and having melt-downs on a daily basis.  And he's right.  We will just have to make sure he gets out and socializes.  It feels right and sometimes you have to listen to what your heart is telling you is good for your family.  Now, on to other concerns...

I'm missing being able to work on my own writing projects since I started school.  I knew it would be this way and I'm glad I finished the book I was working on before the semester started.  I'm itching to start rewrites on it but that will have to take a back burner, I'm afraid.  While I was writing that book, my two critique partners convinced me I should try my hand at writing a romance.  Now, I'm a fantasy writer with pretty much no background in romance novels.  I've never been a fan of them and not really read any.  I've read a few historical romances, which I dig if they are done right, but other than that, I just don't read them.  But, on their urging, I started thinking what I would write if I were to write a romance.  That developed into the idea of a romance set in 1926 in New Orleans.  Of course, once I was done tossing my ideas around with my husband, it sounded more like a murder mystery full of mobsters and hookers and criminal types...LOL.  However, on that note, I think I will use my blog time each week to help flesh out some of my ideas and characters.  This way, I get the time I would like to spend on my own projects and make sure I am completing school assignments.  See what I did there?  I just killed two birds with one stone! :)  Perhaps I may end up blogging more than once a week - how sweet would THAT be?!  Alas, I have promised my child that I would watch a movie with him, so I better wrap it up tonight and get to that.

6 comments:

  1. Lela you're such a strong woman I encourage you to keep doing what's best for you and your family. My nephew is deaf in one ear and my brother and sisterinlaw were terrifed when he began school. He is now in the second grade and doing fine as well as trying to fit in, despite his differences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lela, love, I am so proud of you! And thrilled, too, I own at least 1/2 stock in that push to you writing romance! Throughout the fantasy novel, we all knew you had that flair deep inside you, and whaddya know? We were right! And I'm SUPER excited you're gonna use the blog to shoot around ideas and what-not. As for your precious boy... I believe God gives every one of us a gut feeling for a reason. And if you and The Hubby feel this is the right one for the sake of your son's upbringing, then that's what you've got to do. This is a superb post; a release of sorts. Keep 'em comin'! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 12 is a rough age, I was a nightmare at that age. I think you are doing the right thing if you can afford it. He will excel with one-on-one help, the change will be enormous. Have you heard of a guy named Tim Tebow? He traveled a similar path and look where he is today. The important thing is that you are concerned and are taking action, the right action.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you joined the Romance Writer's group--I'll have to find the name of it. You could find some great support there. And we do have a Writing Group at LSUS--or we did.

    The public school system is designed to not acommodate; I have so many friends who have children with Asperger's and Autism, and they have so many problems getting the kind of help they need. But you can find a number of support groups to help.

    K. Smith
    Eng. 226

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, wow, thank you all for all the supportive words! It solidifies my belief that I'm doing the best I can for my family! And, yes, Nik, you are definitely 50% of that decision to write a romance, if it turns out to actually BE a romance...lol.

    I haven't joined the romance writer's group yet due to money, but I do visit when I can and have gone to their conference. They are wonderful people and VERY supportive! You know what's funny, I run one of those support groups for Autism...I'm the Vice President of the Northwest Louisiana Autism Chapter. I got a call just this week from someone wanting to know what they should do next. Sometimes it's hard to admit that I just don't know where to go next...how can I help others when I don't know how to help us? I feel better with our decision, however. I think we're on the right path! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Lela! You are such a talented writer. It comes out in everything you do. I know you'll accomplish well whatever you set your mind to.

    ReplyDelete